[Snort-users] How to enable mail notication?

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Jan 23 08:42:14 EST 2002

from the snort FAQ:
5.7 --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq-- --snort-- --faq--

Q: How do I get snort to e-mail me alerts? A: Log to syslog and use swatch
or logcheck.

See FAQ 5.9 for why doing computationally expensive things in the logging
chain of snort creates security holes. (It is about invoking processes in
the log chain, but I suspect doing a SMTP client in the log chain is pretty
bad too, for the very same reasons.)