[Snort-users] snort causing kernel-panic ?

Chris Green cmg at ...671...
Fri Jan 18 12:52:11 EST 2002

"Dharmin Parikh" <dharminparikh at ...125...> writes:

> Hi !
>
> I am using LRP-oxygen as my linux router.  It routes packets
> perfectly when I have not installed snort. But when I load the snort
> module, it gives me following error message :
>
> kernel panic : skput : over : c014e7cb : 1006 put : 1006 dev : eth0
> In swapper task - not syncing.

Looks like your ethernet card driver doesn't like promiscous mode. I
would search google for complaints about the network card you are
using. Unfortunately ( or thank goodness ), they aren't all created
equal.

> The linux box just hangs. I just have to give a hardware reboot to
> restart the system.
>
> Can anybody guide me as to what may be happening ?
> Also if someone could forward his own snort.conf file, it would  be
> great !

It likely doesn't have much to do with snort. It would probably crash
with tcpdump as well.
--
Chris Green <cmg at ...671...>
To err is human, to moo bovine.