[Snort-users] How to detect drive letters accessed?

John Sage jsage at ...2022...
Thu Jan 17 20:29:04 EST 2002

I kinda lurked on this thread until tonight I remembered an entirely
different tool you might use to set up a rule that covers a range of
drive letters (or any other complex syntax...)

The tool is ngrep (network grep), see:

http://www.incidents.org/papers/ngrep.php

and:

http://ngrep.sourceforge.net/

ngrep allows you to make complex regex expressions and use them to watch
packet contents, kinda like snort and/or tcpdump but on steroids..

To quote from the incidents.org article:

"...The problem comes when we don't have a fixed series of  characters
to match against.

The November 2001  wu-ftpd exploit used the fact that a sequence of
whitespace, a
tilde, optional characters, a left curly brace, and any other characters
  without a matching right curly brace would crash wu-ftpd, allowing a
buffer overflow exploit to take over.

Because of the possibility of additional characters and the  requirement
that the second block of characters not contain a "}", we   need to use
something stronger than fixed strings..."

- John

--
The web page you seek
cannot be found here: