[Snort-users] putting mysql on a different computer with windows

Jeffrey Post jpost at ...3843...
Thu Jan 17 18:19:01 EST 2002

Hello,
     I am currently running Snort 1.8 with mysql and acid all on one
computer running windows NT server.  If I put mysql on another server when
I start snort I always get an error when it tries to access the database on
the remote computer.  I have changed my output line to the ip address of
the new server so I have

output database: log, mysql, username=<username> password=<password>
dbnam=snort host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

the error is
mysql error access denied for user <username>@ip address using password:
YES

I am assuming the YES stands for it is trying to use a password, not that
the password is YES (which would be incorrect.)

If I go into mysql and issue a
grant INSERT,SELECT,CREATE,DELETE on snort.* to <username>@ipaddress
mysql will put <username>@ipaddress in the user table
if I select * from user
then it show <username>@ipaddress with n in every entry.  I am assuming
this means it really hasn't been granted access.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

                                   Thanks,
                                   Jeff