[Snort-users] How to detect drive letters accessed?

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Thu Jan 17 09:41:05 EST 2002

David,

I totally agree with you on the shares. Though in my case I am looking for
drive letters.

Many canned exploits have references to c:\winnt and d:\winnt etc. Someone
can easily make their own exploits to check other drive letters. I would
like to know when someone tries to open certain other drive letters (either
from the Net or internally). This is why I thought I would create a rule
like this to see what it finds.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hondel [mailto:dhondel at ...3841...]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 9:54 AM
To: Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW); Snort List (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] How to detect drive letters accessed?

Paul,

	I've not sniffed a connection like this to see what is sent, but:

- I'm assuming that you're running a Windows system
- You don't mention a share name

	In other words, the "k:\" probably is never sent over the network.
Perhaps you should try detecting "k$\" or whatever the share name is.

	For example if I run the command "net use * \\<ip>\k$",  I don't
think that my machine ever really knows that I'm using a drive that is
referred to as k: on the target system....