[Snort-users] How to detect drive letters accessed?

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Wed Jan 16 14:20:08 EST 2002

Running Snort 1.8.1 B78 on RH Linux 7.0.

Using Snort, I am trying to detect when someone accesses a certain drive on
one of my servers. For example if I have a server that has a drive letter K:
that no one from the outside world should see or be accessing, I'd like to
create a rule in Snort that checks for "K:\" in a packet. The trouble is, I
can't just create a rule that searches for "K:\" because the rule doesn't
work. I think the colon screws it up or something. Someone in this forum
once mentioned putting some type of code in for the colon and backslash
instead such as creating a rule to look for "K|C3A|" or something like that,
but all recommendations from that person failed.

Does anyone know how I can create a rule to search for "K:\" (can be any
drive letter....it's the colon and backslash that are important)?

Thanks!
Paul