[Snort-users] ICMP Fragment Reassembly time exceeded

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Tue Jan 15 14:54:04 EST 2002

Hello,

In my Snort logs I am seeing "ICMP Fragment Reassembly time exceeded" on a
daily basis being sent as a response from our web servers to random clients
on the Internet. I am running Snort Version 1.8.1-RELEASE (Build 78) under
Red Hat Linux 7.0.

Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction on how a client is
able to force a web server to respond with this ICMP message? I assume it is
a means of a client gathering information from a server but want to get more
information.

Thanks!
Paul