[Snort-users] Red Hat or Mandrake?

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Mon Jan 14 12:28:02 EST 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, CGI wrote:

> My base operating system was Solaris (Sun and Intel). According with the
> news, no suppor for Solaris on Intel, we decided to use Linux for new
> software and new computers based on Intel (servers in general, Snort, Squid,
> ftp server�).

Ahhh....  Yes, the beginnings of a Holy War...  :)

> My question is Red Hat or Mandrake? Some remarks are welcome!

Points in no particular order:

	1)  Sun is doing a Bad Thing(tm).  'Nuff said.
	2)  Don't use RH or Mandrake.  Both come from the same 'base'.  Many
things broken in that 'base'. (Broken means changing standard things...)
	3)  Go to one of the *BSD's instead.  Between the binary compatability
modes, ports/package collections, you'll have more ready to run software than
you can shake a stick at.  And most importantly, they don't just "change" the
way libc and pcap work.  :)

Anyways, I'm not real happy about x86 support being pulled in 9, but I can
understand why it's being done.  I guess I'll just have to use that as an
excuse to change out a few boxes! :)

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams