[Snort-users] newbie ACID setup question

Merrick, Gary Gary.Merrick at ...3973...
Thu Jan 10 18:33:04 EST 2002

This is probably something really stupid, but I gotta ask anyway.  Just installed ACID (9.6b19) and MySQL (3.23.36).  Went through the installation instructions in Snort's readme.database, and the ACID installation instructions.  I think I did everything right.

When trying to run acid_main.php thru a browser, I'm getting the following error:

Error (p)connecting to DB : snort at ...274...:3306
Check the DB connection variables in acid_conf.php
               = $alert_dbname   : MySQL database name where the alerts are stored
               = $alert_host     : host where the database is stored
               = $alert_port     : port where the database is stored
               = $alert_user     : username into the database
               = $alert_password : password for the username
Database ERROR:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Any idea what's wrong?

TIA!
Gary