[Snort-users] Portscan madness -- how to tweak

chi-leung.wong at ...4477... chi-leung.wong at ...4477...
Sun Jan 6 23:38:02 EST 2002

Hello Marty,

	Thanks for the response. They are primarily UDP but there are a
good chunk of tcp packets. Not DNS I've already included our server
subnets into the portscan-ignore list. It's seems to be a lot of UDP
netbios traffic. Since this point is our WAN connection point it's
useless to me to list more addresses to the portscan-ignore list as I'm
trying to find out users scanning into our network and also our users
scanning to other networks. But I'm getting a lot of messages from
"spp_portscan". I'm using 1.8.3 with current rules. But I don't think
it's the rules that's giving me the problems but the portscan
preprocessor sending "spp_portscan detect..." messages. And looking at
the alerts I'm not really getting scanned it's a lot of different ip
addresses, just normal traffic. I'm trying to find how to find the
balance of getting alerts of real portscans but at the same time
minimizing false positives. Since it's written into the preprocessor I
don't know how to deal with it. Thanks.

Cheers,
-Alan