[Snort-users] Using snort on a switched network

Linux Boy cslinuxboy at ...125...
Sun Jan 6 10:27:02 EST 2002

Hello Everyone,

      One quick question.  How does snort do NID on a switched network?  Is
it less productive on a switched network?  The reason is is that I am on a
switched network and would like to use snort.  However, my whole network is
behind our firewall and many people suggested not to run snort on the same
machine as the firewall.  So if I run snort on another machine outside the
firewall, but on the same network as the firewall (also switched), will
snort detect port scans, etc. directed towards my firewall and machines
behind it?  If so, how does it work?  Thanks in advance.

Mike