[Snort-users] Strange system() problem with snort

Brian Smith brians at ...4435...
Wed Jan 2 01:48:05 EST 2002

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 10:59:52AM +0100, Mark Wormgoor wrote:
> I have a small problem with starting snort from another program.  I'm
> running snort 1.8.3 (from RPM) on a Redhat 7.2 based system.
> When I start snort from the command line, it will start just fine:
> /usr/sbin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -D -u snort -g snort -d -e -z

running snort non-root , while I nice idea, turns out to be a problem. I had this same problem with my Demarc/Snort installation. I can't remember the specific internal problems, but this stems from your other program not having access to the pcap device, something along those lines...

running snort as root, really doesn't hurt that much either ;)

hope that's a start,
brian