[Snort-users] Snort ver 1.8.4-beta2 gives bus error.....

PAD HOSMANE phosmane at ...4617...
Wed Feb 27 12:32:06 EST 2002

Chris,
     CORRECTION to the info i have mentioned below in the previous email. It
is not true regarding snort 1.8.4-beta2 version. Since i have put so many
ver of snort in different directory and I might have mistakenly ran
different directory and thought i have ran in sort-1.8.4-beta2.

To run snort.1.8.4-bet2 i have to disable all three:
1. "preprocessor frag2"
2. "preprocessor stream4: detect_scans"
3. "preprocessor stream4_reassemble"
and comment line 17 of virus.rules.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: PAD HOSMANE [mailto:phosmane at ...4618...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:16 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort ver 1.8.4-beta2 gives bus error.....

Chris,
   thank you for the input you have provided. Sorry for the late reply, as
our entire building lost power yesterday. Yesterday i did trial and error
with snort.conf, based on your previous email, i played around with these
three parameters:
1. "preprocessor frag2"
2. "preprocessor stream4: detect_scans"
3. "preprocessor stream4_reassemble"

 I disabled one at time and started snort, when i disabled 2 and 3, snort
still gave bus error, and when i disabled 1,2 and 3
 snort worked well for 5 hours (until power failure) without any bus error.
then i enabled one at a time and when i enabled "preprocessor frag2" snort
started giving bus error very often (This condition is true for both snort
1.8.3 and snort 1.8.4-beta2). At present 2 and 3 are enabled and 1 is
disabled, and snort is running fine with both versions, i ran both version
for 2 hours and i had no problems, earlier it used to give bus error every
min. I will apply tour patch and see how it work.

Thanks for your help.