AW: [Snort-users] Workstation or Server in RH 7.2?

Poppi, Sandro Sandro.Poppi at ...3316...
Tue Feb 26 22:14:02 EST 2002

Choosing the custom option is ok but DON'T install all packages! As a snort
box is a "security device" you should only install the minimal things needed
to run and administer snort, e.g. why should I install X, KDE, Gnome? Don't
need it. Why installing telnet, r services or nfs, apache, ...? Don't need
it. Install openssh instead of telnet.

And always watch for security updates!

Any package installed could open your box for well-known vulnerabilities.
Also streamlining the kernel for performance issues is a good thing (don't
forget to remove gcc afterwards, you don't need it anymore).

Sandro