[Snort-users] autostart

Mcclure Gammon gammon.mcclure at ...4990...
Tue Feb 26 04:38:02 EST 2002

If I remember the docs, you need to provide the full path to snort (/usr/local/bin/snort or whatever) and to the conf file when starting snort in daemon mode (-D)

HTH
Gammon

-----Original Message-----
From: counter.spy at ...348... [mailto:counter.spy at ...348...]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 4:57 PM
To: skill2die4 at ...131...
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE:[Snort-users] autostart

>I am using linux7.1

What's this? Do you mean Readhat 7.1 or SuSE 7.1 or...

>and i am trying to start
>snort automatically on bootup.
>
>i have added following line to the rc.local, however
>snort does not starts and there are no error logs in the
>/var/log/messages
>

>##################################
>
>-->bring eth's up
>-->bring the routing table up
>
>cd   /var/local/snort
>snort -A full -D  -c /var/local/snort/snort.conf
># just to be double sure that it finds the conf file
>##################################
>any help ??
>
>skill2die4

For such things (e.g. starting Iptables) I am using  startup-scripts that
are located in a directory that will not be "cleaned" when updating my system,
e.g. /root/snort/startids, with the appropriate options.
The script is started by a symlink that is located in /etc/init.d (I am
using SuSE, you may find init.d in /sbin/init.d if you have another
distribution).
EXAMPLE for setting a symlink:

-ln -s /root/snort/startids    /etc/init.d/rc2.d/S04startids
-ln -s /root/snort/startids    /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S04startids

that means snort will be started in runlevels 2 and 3.

Note that I am a Newbie to snort and linux and there may be better ways to
achieve the autostart stuff, but this works fine with many other things I
wanted to start automagically in different runlevels :-)

Greetings,
D.Liesen

http://www.gmx.net