[Snort-users] Snort Crashes

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Thu Feb 21 14:01:03 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Tony Carothers wrote:

> After starting Snort, about 10 minutes in to it, it dies with this error.
> Any ideas?

Yep.  You're running on a MS platform.  ;-)

> Log directory = log
> Initializing Network Interface \
> ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
>         syntax error
> PCAP command: Files\Sourcefire\Snort\snort.conf -l C:\Program
> Files\Sourcefire\S
> nort -N -A full -h 192.168.1.253/32 -i 1 -o
> Fatal Error, Quitting..

It's acutally a fairly common error.  IDSCenter/Snort/Something on the Win32
platforms need to use short pathnames or to _not_ have a space in them.  As it
stands, snort is seeing your interface as "\".  Note the line that says "PCAP
command: Files\Sourcefire\Snort\snort.conf -l ..."?  That's where your problem
is.

Fix?  Not 100% sure.  I'm not Win32 clueful.  I'd say uninstall all the parts,
and then reinstall using shortpathnames or into a dir like "C:\snort".

Good luck!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy