[Snort-users] firewalling snort machine

Basil Saragoza snortlst at ...125...
Thu Feb 21 09:03:03 EST 2002

I run demarc so I would like to be able to have public ip to be able to check alerts from home using https.
I was thinking about using ipchains on snort machine to block everything incoming besides https....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sean T. Ballard
  To: Basil Saragoza ; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
  Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 11:36 AM
  Subject: RE: [Snort-users] firewalling snort machine

  Here how I do it. Have 2 nics in it, one public one private. Unbind tcpip off the public interface and just have the card in promisc mode. Then on your private interface setup and IP so you can check the logs. This way no internet traffic can connect to the IDS but it still logs everything. (Make sure if your plugging the IDS into a switch that the ports are mirrored to the port the IDS's public interface is in)

  -Sean