[Snort-users] Newbie Tip for Newbies - snort installer from silicondefense

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Wed Feb 20 15:02:16 EST 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Matt Whelan wrote:

> The Snort 1.83 WIn32 installer from snort.org installs Snort and
> IDScenter.
>
> http://www.snort.org/releases/Snort183Win32.exe
>
> (Though this is the one which breaks winpcap and Snort on my Win2K
> server -- still puzzling over that).

Actually there's one error that comes up due to pathnames.  Convert it to
short pathnames or move it out of "C:\Program Files\..." and it should be
fine.

There is another one, but it seems to be more winpcap related.  If that's it,
try removing winpcap, and reinstalling.  IIRC, there was some issue with a
newer version--Perhaps try downgrading?

Note:  I'm not a Win<bleh> person at all.  Take this as "I think I recall
seeing something about this..." information.  :)

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy
TheAdamsFamily.Net