[Snort-users] Article on Securityfocus

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Fri Feb 15 18:59:06 EST 2002

On 2/15/02 6:22 PM, "Coochey, Giles" <g.coochey at ...1985...> wrote:

> A colleague pointed me to the article at
> http://www.securityfocus.com/new/332. While I subscribe and participate in
> the snort-sigs list I don't receive the snort-users list so I apologise if
> I'm covering "It's in the FAQ" material (Although I checked the snort-users
> archive)
>
> Marty,
>
> Do you have any plans to close the source for future versions of snort?

No, I've committed many times publicly to keeping Snort open source and I
intend to keep it that way (and more to the point, I've also convinced my VC
of the necessity that it remain open source).

> I enjoy working on the sigs and particularly contributing on the sig
> documentation project:
>
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1002
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1251
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1256
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=1322
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=386
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=492
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=523
> http://www.snort.org/snort-db/sid.html?id=547
>
> While I understand that the money has to come from somewhere, I'd like to
> hear a statement that snort under UNIX (great IDS, by the way) will remain
> open-source for the foreseeable future.

It will remain open source as long as I'm involved with it.  How's that?

> PS If not? can I have a job? :-), only kidding.

:)

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch - Founder/CEO Sourcefire Inc. - (410) 552-6999