[Snort-users] Problem connecting to local mysql with new acid and new snort

Bruce Platt Bruce at ...2105...
Fri Feb 15 07:19:26 EST 2002

I have had snort 1.7, and acid-0.9.6b8 running nicely on an apache 1.3.19
server with mysql 3.23.37 (built from source) on RH Linux 7.0.  It worked
well, but was obviously out of date :-)

So I upgraded to snort-stable as of yesterday, and latest acid (0.9.6b20),
and replaced mysql binaries with the RH mysql 3.23.36 from rpms.  Now, I can
not connect to the db in the usual way, i.e., webserver/acid/acid_main.php.

I receive the following error message:

Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (111) in /var/www/html/acid/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 81
localhost

I have checked the permissions, etc. on the mysql db, and verified that I
can telnet to it on port 3306.  I.e. :

telnet localhost 3306

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
(^@^@^@
3.23.36^@^A^@^@^@=aS[NS9`^@,^B^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@

I edited acid_conf.php to show the following (user and pw obfuscated) but
which in reality match the grant statement issued to mysql:

$alert_dbname   = "snort";
$alert_host     = "localhost.localdomain";
$alert_port     = "";
$alert_user     = "xxxxx";
$alert_password = "yyyyyy";

mysql use snort; show tables shows that create_mysql has inserted the
correct tables and an ls of the path to db shows the correct files.

Now, I am quite puzzled.

Thanks and regards,

Bruce