[Snort-users] www.snort.org off the net ???

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Sun Feb 10 17:37:02 EST 2002

Ok, it's back up.  The circuit didn't blow (Sourcefire has moved to a new
office and the electrical load around here is considerably lessened),
something on the snort.org server did.  I went down into the
basement^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H NOC and the server was completely hung, I couldn't
even log in at the console.  This is an OpenBSD 3.0 server, so that made me
feel real good.

Anyway, it's rebooted and seems to be working now, I didn't see anything in
the syslogs that looked weird, so I'm not quite sure what the problem was.

In the future if people want to test connectivity to the site, just trying
to ping gw.sourcefire.com should let you know if we're up, that's the router
to the Sourcefire net.  Snort.org itself won't respond to pings or anything
other than port 80 traffic, we've got a really tight packet filter set.
Tracerouting snort.org won't really work, cerberus.sourcefire.com or
gw.sourcefire.com are your best bets.

     -Marty