[Snort-users] ERROR WITH VIRUS.RULES

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Feb 4 13:13:13 EST 2002

Ok, read closely this time.. the rules directory is not where the file you
need is located.

In addition to the rules, you need a file named "classification.config".
This file is NOT in the rules subdirectory of the snort CVS tarball. It is
in the  (underline, bold, flashing red letters) *etc* directory. Grab it,
put it where your rules are, watch it work.

(note this is more or less a rehash of what Chris said, with emphasis added)

FAQ maintainer: This is getting to be a common question on the list, so how
about a snort FAQ 6.22:
-----------------
Q: Why do I get "Bad Priority setting" errors when snort reads my .rules files?

Make sure you have the classification.config file installed in the same
directory as your rules files. This file is included in the snort
distribution so check your downloaded tarball for it.

I'd include comments about where the file is in the distro, but the release
1.8.2 tarball had it in the root snort directory, but the current CVS
tarballs seem to have it in the etc subdir. I've not checked the latest
release tarballs to see if the etc thing is an artifact of CVS, or if the
release format is changed.