[Snort-users] Nmap Scanning Detection with Snort

Friday Akpan akpano at ...131...
Fri Dec 27 13:36:02 EST 2002

Hi,

I am working with the Nmap network scanning tool and
also looking at using the Snort open source intrusion
detection system to detect these scanning activities.

I discovered that Nmap using the ICMP Ping Discovery
option seems not to scan the network with any of the
Nmap Scan types (SYN stealth, FIN stealth, Ping Sweep,
etc.) The output for most of the scan types is the
same, and a sample is attached to this email.

Also, the Snort intrusion detection system does not
detect scanning with Nmap using the ICMP Ping
Discovery method at all. Is this normal? Or, there is
something I need to do.

Please I will appreciate your contributions on this.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Friday

http://mailplus.yahoo.com