[Snort-users] snortd error

Erick Mechler emechler at ...7719...
Sun Dec 22 22:43:04 EST 2002

:: I'm still having troubles getting snortd to start, so I reinstalled the
:: 1.90beta6 build from snort.org. Now when I execute snort I receive this error.
::
:: ERROR: Unable to open rules file: /root/.snortrc or /root//root/.snortrc

Perhaps a silly question, but why are you using the beta when the stable
version is already out, and has been so for over 2 months?

  http://www.snort.org/dl/snort-1.9.0.tar.gz

As to why snort is looking for the rules file there, it checks in
$HOME/.snortrc for the rule file if you don't give it one on the command
line.

Cheers - Erick