[Snort-users] Understanding IDS & TAPS

Nigel Clarke nigel at ...7799...
Thu Dec 19 13:20:04 EST 2002

To answer your networking questions, read "Interconnections" by Radia
Perlman.

A switch manages VLANs in software. Let's say you have a 20 port switch, and
you
need to create two VLANs. You could assign ports 1 - 10 to VLAN A and ports
11 - 15 to VLAN B.
The remaining ports could be saved for another VLAN.

This is not a good idea. There are exploits that allow a hacker to bypass
VLANS.

Let me know if this helps.

--
Nigel Clarke                 Forever Networks
Network Security Engineer    Consultant
*********www.forever-networks.com************

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Carleton,
Sam (SCI TW)
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 10:49 AM
To: 'twig les'; 'snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net'
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Understanding IDS & TAPS

Read theory?  Well, learning more about TCP/IP is on my hit list of things
to do.
So, if my understanding of your short answer is correct, you said:  The
switch either needs a port that all traffic goes to or it must be able to be
configured to sends packets from one port to another, based on MAC address.

Now Netgear has this switch FSM726S which is a "managed switch".  Is my
impression correct that a "managed switch" is one that can be configured to
send the packets from Port A's and Port B's ports to the IDS's port?
Where can I go to learn more about this networking stuff, primarily what a
managed switch is and what all one can do with it.  If my impression is
correct, one managed switch could be used to create multiple isolated
networks.  In other words, I am under that by configuring this Netgear
switch so that one set of ports are for the DMZ and another set of ports are
for the internal network, I could have one switch with two networks.  This
is apposed to having to have two physical switch's, one for the DMZ and one
for the internal network.
Oh, wait a second.  I just had a thought.  Does it HAVE to be a switch
between the TAP and the IDS?  Can I use a HUB?  The only reason I could see
a HUB being a problem is if a packet of info came in on both Port A & B at
the same time.
Sam