[Snort-users] Understanding IDS & TAPS

twig les twigles at ...131...
Wed Dec 18 10:18:05 EST 2002

Your questions span (pun!) more than the IDS field.
Pick up a good book on switches or at least something
that explains the OSI model.  As loath as I am to
recommend reading theory, it really applies.

A short answer is that switches forward packets out of
specific ports based on a table they keep.  The table
correlates MAC address<->port relationships.  To sniff
on a switch you need one of two things: a port that
the switch sends ALL traffic to, regardless of the
destination MAC, or a piece of software like Ettercap
that does massive ARP poisoning.  For multiple obvious
reasons you prolly want to stick to the former.

--- "Carleton, Sam (SCI TW)"

=====