[Snort-users] snort-1.9.0.tar.gz

Chris Keladis Chris.Keladis at ...6400...
Wed Dec 18 09:04:07 EST 2002

Erick Mechler wrote:

> :: i'm trying to install snort-1.9.0 in a RedHat 7.2.
> :: I'm getting the following message when i run the configure script
> ::
> :: "bash: ./configure : bad interpreter : No such file or directory"
>
> The configure script should be looking for the /bin/sh shell as its
> interpreter.  If /bin/sh doesn't exist then you'll get this error.  Check
> that whatever comes after the #! on the first line of configure is actually
> there.

Also, if the file has been edited on a Windows machine it can sometimes
tack ^V^M characters on the end of each line, so #!/bin/sh becomes
#!/bin/sh^V^M and as the ctrl-v/ctrl-m characters are special, and
hidden by default on most editors, it can create a really hard to find
problem.

The symptoms are it cant find the interpreter, even though to the naked
eye, it seems correct.

Removing ctrl-v/ctrl-m characters is a simple regex, or alternatively
look to google for the regex.

Regards,

Chris.