[Snort-users] Understanding IDS & TAPS

Carleton, Sam (SCI TW) Sam_Carleton_TW at ...7796...
Wed Dec 18 09:03:05 EST 2002

Folks,

I understand the IDS and TAPS, but not completely.  The main thing is the
physical hookup of the TAP to the IDS.  I don't understand the "100Mb IDS
Tapping Diagram (with only 100bt span port)" diagram.  The switch being
used, can it be any old switch or does it have to be something that is
programmable?  What I don't understand is how the traffic gets through the
switch.  How does the switch know where to send the packets which are coming
in from the Port A and Port B?

Sam