[Snort-users] New Trend: Intrusion Prevention

Sheahan, Paul (PCLN-NW) Paul.Sheahan at ...2218...
Mon Dec 16 10:49:08 EST 2002

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree with your view on this. I
definitely don't see IPS replacing IDS myself either. I can see IPS
complementing IDS but that's about it.

Giga Research was at Infosec 2002 in New York and they and others mentioned
several times when speaking about security trends that IDS will be replaced
by IPS. They even went as far as to say if you haven't started a corporate
IDS installation at your company, to hold off and look at IPS. See their
website where they have articles speaking about this (www.gigaweb.com).

Another interesting speech at Infosec 2002 by Counterpane's Bruce Schneier
also backs up our view on this issue. He stated several times that
prevention is always the preferred security method over detection, BUT,
prevention will ALWAYS fail at some point, so detection will always be
needed as a backup.

Paul Sheahan
Manager of Information Security
Priceline.com