[Snort-users] New Trend: Intrusion Prevention

Bob Dehnhardt bob.dehnhardt at ...7168...
Fri Dec 13 11:10:05 EST 2002

Everything I've seen about IPS is that it's intended as another facet of
security, not as a replacement for IDS. IPS is useful for preventing attacks
that can be identified with a high (99%+) degree of accuracy, like SYN/FIN
sweeps. Attacks that may have a significant number of false positives are
outside IPS's realm, since having that traffic dropped would likely affect
normal network operations. IDS with a real live decision-making person will
be used in those cases, just as today.

There is no single solution, probably never will be.

 - Bob

Bob Dehnhardt
IT Operations Manager - Reno
TriNet