[Snort-users] Possible Memory Overlap/Bug? Help!

Kevin Peuhkurinen kevinp at ...6884...
Thu Dec 12 04:09:03 EST 2002

I hope somebody can help me with this as I am nearing my wits end.   I'm
having a problem with anomalous "P2P GNUTELLA GET" alerts which appear
to be caused by some kind of packet overlap or something.

I had been having these problems with Snort 1.8.7, so upgraded to 1.9.0
and am still encountering them.    The sensor reporting them is running
Mandrake 8.1 with the latest stable release of libpcap.

According to this sensor, the packets in question are originating from
my SMTP server, with the destination being other SMTP servers on port
25.    When I look at the packet in ACID, sure enough there is what
appears to be HTTP GET requests.   This was enough to make me curious.
 What I eventually decided to do was use a different machine to capture
all of the traffic on port 25 to try to figure out what was going on.

The thing is, the packets that are being logged by the sensor do not
match the packets that are being captured by the other machine.

Here is an example: