[Snort-users] Problem with Snort 1.9.0 and PostgreSQL

Johan Sunnerstig Johan.Sunnerstig at ...6624...
Thu Dec 12 01:40:03 EST 2002

Thanks, this solved my problem.
Well actually I kinda FUBAR'ed the database and had to reinstall it, but I
simply changed the create_postgresql script instead, and it works fine now.

Thanks a bunch :)

Johan

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Erickson [mailto:redlamb at ...7185...]
Sent: den 10 december 2002 04:44
To: Snort Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Problem with Snort 1.9.0 and PostgreSQL

I also ran into this problem when I setup snort last week. After looking at
the create_pstgresql script that comes with Snort, I found the problem. When
the script creates the sensor table, it defines one of the fields (last_cid)
to be 'NOT NULL'. When snort runs for the first time, it tries to add a null
value into this field which causes the program to exit. In order to fix it,
I dropped the sensor table and recreated it by hand omitting the 'NOT NULL'
keyword.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

The create statement I used was:

CREATE TABLE sensor ( sid         SERIAL,
                      hostname    TEXT,
                      interface   TEXT,
                      filter      TEXT,
                      detail      INT2,
                      encoding    INT2,
                      last_cid    INT8,
                      PRIMARY KEY (sid));

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:37:27PM -0600, m0use said:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:57:59 +0800, Semerjian, Ohanes wrote
> > when u say this not permissions issue which permissions u mean....!
> > if u mean file then thats not what I'm trying to say. Any database
> > has it own permissions and they r different from file permission and
> > it dose not mater even if u were root. U still need to grant the
> > root a database permission.
>
> FYI recompiling from CVS fixed it.  It used the same database no problem.
I'm
> very curious what the problem was since no permissions on the database
were
> changed.  Since i'm not going to use postgres after all on this project it
was
> really an excercise.  But hey everyones gotta have a hobby.
>

> m0use

Peter Erickson
redlamb at ...7185...
GPGKey: 0xD267D827