[Snort-users] W2K snort launch & halt

Scott Olihovik solihovik at ...7730...
Wed Dec 11 11:25:02 EST 2002

set your interface to 2.   -i 2  or whatever interface you want.  it is currently trying to sniff on Packet_NdisWanIp as opposed to your network card interface.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Jorgensen [mailto:lists at ...7728...]
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 2:03 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] W2K snort launch & halt

I just ran into a problem with a Snort install on a clean W2K box - everything seems to install fine (using WinPcap 2.3 and Snort 1.9), but on even a basic snort -d -e -v I get an initial "Initializing...", then a "Warning: OpenPcap() device \Device\Packet_NdisWanIp network lookup:" which says it completes successfully, initializing snort, and the version information... then nothing. I can Ctrl-C out of it, which gives the Snort analyzed 0 out of 0 packets, and ends with a

Pcap_loop: read error: PacketReceivePacket failedpcapstats: PacketGetStats error

Haven't seen this before - would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Serge