[Snort-users] Problem with Snort 1.9.0 and PostgreSQL

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at ...3877...
Mon Dec 9 09:32:04 EST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, m0use wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:15:11 +0800, Semerjian, Ohanes wrote
> > I don't run postgres but I use Mysql, anyway u have the solution
> > wright in front of u.

> > ===============
> >  Some possible causes for this error are:
> >   * the user does not have proper INSERT or SELECT privileges
> >   * the sensor table does not exist
>
> this is not it, I've had the same issue on 3 different test setups. even
> logging snort in as root has the same problem. identical on 3 boxes. not sure
> what he problem is but its doesn't seem to be permissions.
>
> m0use

This is not a file permisssions issue, but rather a postgresql database
user privileges issue.  You need to look inside your snort.conf to
configure the output plugin correctly.

output database: alert, postgresql, dbname=yourdatabasename \
user=databaseusername host=somehost port=5432

Make sure that databaseusername has privileges to INSERT and SELECT on
database yourdatabasename.

man createuser
man createdb

HTH.