[Snort-users] Block Conncection

Alberto Gonzalez albertg at ...7149...
Sat Dec 7 00:03:02 EST 2002

    Well, the Resp[1] keyword doesn't "block" connections, it has the
ability to send rst packets and or ICMP error messages. I
don't consider this blocking(IE: dropping the packet, no response). The
manual illustrates 2 examples of using the Resp keyword
within a rule. You can choose multpiel modifiers at the same time. To
block connections (some might agree that this is bad) I
suggest you either employ SnortSam[2] and or Hogwash[2]. I've played
with the Resp keyword, not much.

    What was the result you got from your tests? The very few ones I did
actually got some nice results. I'm a fan of hybrid solutions
(dont want to get into the IPS stuff.) Hopefully the technology will
grow from here. Hope my 2 cents help you out!

Cheers!

    - Alberto

[1] - http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.22
[2] - http://www.snortsam.net
[3] - http://hogwash.sourceforge.net

--
The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.