[Snort-users] Understanding how to setup snort...

Andy Monroe aim at ...7683...
Thu Dec 5 12:44:02 EST 2002

I read the snort manual, but it simply is not clicking with me.  The
only thing I want to use snort for is to search AIM traffic for specific
keywords (as in illicit activity).  I have found this rule from the
mailing list:

 log tcp any any -> any any (msg: "AIM packet";
    content:"|2A 02|"; depth:2; flags:AP+;
    classtype:not-suspicious;priority:0;)

How do I go about logging all the AIM trafic?  First off, it looks like
the above rule will NOT log the content.  Doesn't the rule also need to
have "session: printable;"?

Second, I don't understand the role that the snort.conf plays in things.
The only thing I want to do is run snort in packet logger mode to search
the AIM packes, nothing else.  Can someone either point me to some info
that can guide me in this quest?  Or simply enlighten me?

Andy