[Snort-users] Gigabit IDS report

aaron g click46 at ...7386...
Sun Dec 1 13:03:29 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder at ...1926...>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 10:38:51 -0000
To: "'Frank Knobbe'" <fknobbe at ...652...>, "'twig les'" <twigles at ...131...>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Gigabit IDS report

> I am sorry you all feel misled, but we are not charging money for "white
> papers". The equivalent of a "white paper" is indeed up on the site and
> available for free - in other words it is a high level view of the
> technology and the industry, followed by some detailed questionnaires
> covering each of the products we evaluated. That is what I would call a
> white paper.

I don't feel misled; I feel wary of providing the information requested upfront.

> No - there are no detailed evaluations prepared by us
>
> No - there are no test results
>
> Yes - if you want our detailed, in-depth, 180 page report we do ask you to
> pay for a CD or hard copy version

  Indeed, nothing wrong with that.

> If you want a brief freebie, there are plenty of sites where you can get
> those, but I would think none of them will be as detailed as our full
> report. But if you DON'T want that level of detail, you don't have to pay
> for it.

  Well then! I'm not going to ;)

> I would also point out that there are many other analyst and lab sites
> similar to ourselves who will provide even less information up front and
> then expect you to shell out hundreds - even thousands - of dollars for
> their reports - not $50
>
> I will point out that we have made, and will continue to make, extensive
> group rest reports available for free - currently we have 100Mbps IDS, PKI,
> firewall, Vulnerability Assessment and DSL reports up there - all available
> in full and all free. Gigabit was a special case as far as we are concerned.
> It cost us an AWFUL lot in terms of time and money (both in infrastructure
> investment and testing time) to produce that report, and we feel that it is
> something of a leading-edge market segment which will appeal initially to
> large corporate buyers.
>
> Casual readers who are not serious about implementing the technology in live
> environments will certainly not want to pay for the report - and I would not
> expect them to. No one is forcing them to.
>
> I point out again that there is a significant amount of free information
> available on our site and all updates to those reports will continue to be
> free. In the future, there may be other high-end, leading edge technologies
> that we cover, and we may charge for those too. If the REAL point of this is
> that I should not have posted something to this mailing list that might
> involve a commercial transaction at some point then I apologise sincerely
> and will not repeat the mistake.
>
> Actually, to put this into context, of the many hundreds of downloads we had
> over the weekend these are the only negative comments I have seen.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob Walder
> Director
> The NSS Group Ltd.
>
> PS We DON'T ask for a life history when you register - name, company and
> e-mail is enough. Most people are kind enough to provide valid information
> than to determine which are the most popular reports - the most popular ones

Excellent. Perhaps you could fire off an email to the web development guys asking them to make this policy a little more prominent when a user first visits this page? The poorly colored, compact paragraphs ambiguiously detailing the registration purpose and process doesnt bode well with those of us who skim instead of thoroughly read sites. Now that your privacy policy is clear to me, I'll be more than happy to provide the information requested.