[Snort-users] Starting Snort at Boot Up

Alwin Raymundo alrayworld at ...131...
Fri Aug 30 05:08:04 EDT 2002

Hi Nathanael

If I'm not mistaken the mysql.sock (2) is regarding
authentication with mysql.  I remember that if you
dont supply the password,correct password, in the
snort.conf

or

Granting the access to the snort table of mysql

I hope this will help :-)

--- Nathanael Morrison <nathanael_morrison at ...6696...>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't seem to get snort to start at boot up.
>
> I'm current using the following:
>
> Linux 2.4.18
> MySQL 3.23.39
> Snort 1.8.6
>
> I created two startup scripts,  /etc/rc.mysqld and
> /etc/rc.snortd.
> I then run /etc/rc.mysqld first and then
> /etc/rc.snortd by making a call from
> /etc/rc.local. MySQL starts up fine, but snort does
> not. When I looked at the
> system logs I found the following error:
>
> snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't
> connect to local MySQL server
> through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> Now this is the part I can't figure out. If I call
> /etc/rc.snortd after
> logging in, snort starts up fine. Everything runs
> great, snort is logging to
> MySQL, and I can analyse the packets with ACID.
> Maybe I'm missing
> something... any ideas?
>
> Nathanael

=====