[Snort-users] Starting Snort at Boot Up

Jason Monroe "JC" monroe at ...5738...
Tue Aug 27 19:31:02 EDT 2002

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erek Adams <erek at ...577...>
To: Nathanael Morrison <nathanael_morrison at ...6696...>
cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Starting Snort at Boot Up

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Nathanael Morrison wrote:

> I can't seem to get snort to start at boot up.
>
> I'm current using the following:
>
> Linux 2.4.18
> MySQL 3.23.39
> Snort 1.8.6
>
> I created two startup scripts,  /etc/rc.mysqld and /etc/rc.snortd.
> I then run /etc/rc.mysqld first and then /etc/rc.snortd by making a
call from
> /etc/rc.local. MySQL starts up fine, but snort does not. When I looked
at the
> system logs I found the following error:
>
> snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local
MySQL server
> through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
>
> Now this is the part I can't figure out. If I call /etc/rc.snortd
after
> logging in, snort starts up fine. Everything runs great, snort is
logging to
> MySQL, and I can analyse the packets with ACID. Maybe I'm missing
> something... any ideas?

Be a pal

The details of the database plugin configuration

cat /etc/rc.snortd

what permissions the snort user for mysql user have been granted and if
a password has been specified?
	mysql -e 'use mysql; select * from user where 	user="<snort_user>";' -u
root -p <password>

Details to whether or not after you run the /etc/rc.mysqld you can issue
a mysql -e 'use snortdb; select * from details;' -u <some_user> -p
<password> snortdb and have it return the data

JC