[Snort-users] Starting Snort at Boot Up

Nathanael Morrison nathanael_morrison at ...6696...
Mon Aug 26 08:32:14 EDT 2002

Hi,

I can't seem to get snort to start at boot up.

I'm current using the following:

Linux 2.4.18
MySQL 3.23.39
Snort 1.8.6

I created two startup scripts,  /etc/rc.mysqld and /etc/rc.snortd.
I then run /etc/rc.mysqld first and then /etc/rc.snortd by making a call from
/etc/rc.local. MySQL starts up fine, but snort does not. When I looked at the
system logs I found the following error:

snort: FATAL ERROR: database: mysql_error: Can't connect to local MySQL server
through socket '/var/run/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Now this is the part I can't figure out. If I call /etc/rc.snortd after
logging in, snort starts up fine. Everything runs great, snort is logging to
MySQL, and I can analyse the packets with ACID. Maybe I'm missing
something... any ideas?

Nathanael