[Snort-users] installing acid on fbsd4.6 for meer mortals

Randy Bey Randy.Bey at ...6683...
Fri Aug 23 08:41:03 EDT 2002

The guide is good; without it I would be completely lost.
Where I to make a few simple recommendations, they would be:
1) the order of the guide is a bit confusing. If you use it like a
cookbook and go step by step, this makes it rough. The parts I am
thinking about specifically are
a) checking DB table permissions prior to the DB tables even being
created. At least the ACID tables.
b) the GD stuff may be optional, but it should be done prior to the PHP
stuff, so I'd move it in the list.

2) the GD stuff has a couple prerequisites that might help to be
mentioned in the list. Specifically libpng and jpeg-6b.

3) PHP has many configure switches (as has been posted before) that took
me mucho timeo to sus out. I would include words to the effect "[your
config options] will probably be a dozen additional options", although
that may be just fresh wounds on my part that are still smarting.

Other than those minor points, I owe the writer of that documentation a
beer or three. Without it, I would be partway into a several week
effort, assuming I remained sane.

Randy Bey
RiverNorth Systems
7300 W 147th St Suite 300