[Snort-users] Replying conventions

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Aug 22 14:57:04 EDT 2002

For the first question, many, many, many posters to the snort-users list
asking for help are not subscribed to it. Hence the common convention of
replying to both..

as for where the replies go, that's *supposed* to be up to the sender..
some lists munge the reply-to header and replace it with the list's
address, but a lot of purists consider that pretty much a disfeature.

Admittedly many windows MUA's always set reply-to to the same value as
from, but the header exists in email and is put in by the MUA for the
express purpose of letting users control where the default replies go. I
guess the windows-generation has decided that this is too confusing to
allow mortal users to do. Sad.