[Snort-users] installing acid on fbsd4.6 for meer mortals

Jim Burwell jimb at ...6373...
Thu Aug 22 13:27:03 EDT 2002

Read carefully through all the docs for each package.  Getting ACID to
work is a lot of work, since it depends on many packages.  You need a
working Apache, a working PHP, a working GD (and the many libraries GD
depends on), the ADODB package, and Phplot.  This is a lot of stuff to
configure.

I got this all working on Solaris 8.  I used some binary packages from a
trusted Sun freeware site (sunfreeware.com).  The most problems I had
was with PHP and the GD library.  GD itself needs a bunch of packages
and libraries to work also.  It needs the libpng stuff, the libjpeg
stuff (if you want jpeg), etc, etc.  Read through the readme for GD.  So
you either need to get these and compile them also, or get some binary
packages.  PHP is the most difficult thing to get compiled correctly.
 The PHP package needs to be compiled with lots of "--with" flags for GD
to work properly, otherwise it gets lots of run-time unresolved
reference errors.  Just using a "with" for GD isn't sufficient.  I found
that you also need to "with" each library which GD uses also, or PHP
can't find the functions it needs.  Here's the "configure" line I had to
use to get PHP working:

./configure --with-mysql --with-apxs=/usr/apache/bin/apxs --with-gd
--enable-sockets --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib
--with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib
--with-xpm-dir=/usr/local/lib

These 'with' statements basically had the effect of the Makefile
including -L and -R statements for each library so that both the comiple
and run time linkers could find all the functions it needed to find in
the Apache module environment.   Apache doesn't seem to consult the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running a module (or PHP doesn't, or there's some
config item that needed to be in the Apache conf files, or whatever.  I
didn't bother, just used the "withs").  This may not apply to Fbsd, but
it was needed for Solaris.

Basically, you need to work from the bottom up.  So you need to
obtain/compile any libraries that GD needs and install them, and any
libraries/packages those packages need.  I was able to use binary
packages for the libPNG, and libjpeg I used with GD, and I didn't bother
w/ Freetype/TTF stuff, so I'm not sure if those libs need additional
stuff (probably don't).  Then once you get GD compiled properly and
installed, compile PHP.  Then make a PHP script that calls phpinfo()
(this is referenced in the ACID install I believe) and carefully examine
the page produced.  Once satisfied PHP is working, then the 'foundation'
is ready for the other stuff.  Install PHplot and run a few of the
tests.  If they succeeed, then install ADODB and ACID, tweak the config
files, and it should all work.

Also make sure you read the ACID FAQ on the web site.  There's some
stuff not in the ACID install guide that should probably be there.
 Namely the fact that the PHP "register_globals" option must be turned
on in the php.ini file (it's off in the default PHP configurations).

It's a good days work if you're completely unfamiliar with PHP as I was
:-).  Good luck.

- Jim