[Snort-users] Replying conventions

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Aug 22 12:48:03 EDT 2002

Heh, ok, I think this thread has gotten long and meandered way off-topic
and off-point, but as a quick summary/clarification prior to letting this
thread die:

The original question was why anyone on the list would object to such a
double-addressing of an email, when they are NOT the person who is going to
get two copies (ie: they are just someone else who subscribes to the list
and are annoyed for some reason).

As a hypothetical example picture me responding to this post To:
jsage at ...2022..., snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net and this causing
someone else on the list like Erek or Marty to get bent out of shape (not
that Erek or Marty would, this is a hypothetical example)

Based on the ensuing discussion, it makes sense why the original question
author might object to getting two copies, i.e. John in my example, but why
this would bother anyone else subscribed to the list is unclear. As I said
before, the only thing I can think of is it might have caused a very lame
mailfilter rule to fail to put my email in the proper mailbox, and that's a
mis-configured filter rule on their end, not a problem on my end IMO.

In any event, sounds like it's more or less a moot point and this thread
should die off. If someone has any good reason why such a reply format
would be of detriment to the list as a whole, and not just the duplicated
author, I encourage them to post it, but it sounds like everyone else has
no better ideas about this than I do. :)