[Snort-users] Replying conventions

Matt Yackley Matt.Yackley at ...5858...
Thu Aug 22 09:10:02 EDT 2002

Why wouldn't you reply to the list...?????

Some of the biggest reason for replying to the list:
1. Other people may not need to spend the time to answer a question if they
see that it has already been answered.
2. I thought this list was here to "SHARE" information, how does that happen
if all replies are sent direct via e-mail.
3. How can you tell someone to read the archives if there isn't any good
info in the archives due to everyone replying direct.... :)

just my 2 cents

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Kettler [mailto:mkettler at ...4108...]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 2:23 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Replying conventions

This morning I got some all-caps flame mail in reply to one of my list
postings. The posting in question was one in which I replied to: the
author, and the list. The Canadian complainer wasn't on the to: or cc: of
the email complained about, so I can only presume he was complaining
because the To: line didn't start with snort-users at ...6665...

As far as I can tell, replying to the author, and to: the list, or replying
to: the author and cc: the list is pretty common in snort users. Anyone
have any explanation as to why someone might object that I replied to the
author as well as the list, when they were not the author?

The only reason I can see that this would bother a bystanding list
subscriber is if they have a pretty lame MUA which can't handle filtering
mail into separate mailboxes when there's multiple recipients in the to:
line. And that's a pretty lame complaint IMO. Anyone got any valid gripes
against this practice?

The complaint I got consisted of:

PLEASE POST TO THE LIST ONLY!

I asked:
	Erm, what the heck is your problem?

and got back:
	You must be really dense!

Followed by a subsequent email asking for a more in depth explanation of
their problem being 553'ed

I chalk it up to mostly being some dimbulb who has a bug up his hind end
about the way everyone else in the world doesn't do things his way, but it
did pique my curiosity.