[Snort-users] Replying conventions

Chris Green cmg at ...1935...
Wed Aug 21 17:58:02 EDT 2002

Matt Kettler <mkettler at ...4108...> writes:

> This morning I got some all-caps flame mail in reply to one of my list
> postings. The posting in question was one in which I replied to: the
> author, and the list. The Canadian complainer wasn't on the to: or cc:
> of the email complained about, so I can only presume he was
> complaining because the To: line didn't start with
> snort-users at ...6665...

That's very out of line.  If people want replies to go to the list,
they can set the Reply-To: header.  For people filtering mail, they
can use the X-BeenThere: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net to do so
by.

> As far as I can tell, replying to the author, and to: the list, or
> replying to: the author and cc: the list is pretty common in snort
> users. Anyone have any explanation as to why someone might object that
> I replied to the author as well as the list, when they were not the
> author?

Yes, I do that because so often people aren't subscribed to the list
and I'm not going to think twice about my methodolgy for snort-users.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Green <cmg at ...1935...>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.