[Snort-users] Error message

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Aug 16 17:13:03 EDT 2002

Agreed, as Jon said, look at line 46 of your snort.conf

 From looking at the code I'd guess you have a snort.conf with a line 46
containing a valid rule indented by a space or two.. The snort parser tries
to split a line up into a series of space delimited substrings, and the
first one should be the "rule type", but in this case it's gotten a null
string.

Given the default config having "var HOME_NET" near line 46, you probably
introduced some misbehaved whitespace around there.

Juliano, if you still don't understand what the problem is, post line 46 of
your snort.conf and any var's it references, or your whole snort.conf
(censoring out HOME_NET and EXTERNAL_NET if you deem it important).