[Snort-users] Rule content question.

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Fri Aug 16 10:14:01 EDT 2002

What about this? (sid changed to a local-rules sid range)

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP nonzero Large ICMP
Packet";
dsize: >800;content:! "|00|00|00|00|00|00|00|00|"; classtype:bad-unknown;
sid:1000008; rev:1;)

Admittedly it only detects 8 00 bytes before deciding to ignore the packet,
but you can expand it to more to reduce the false-negative rate.

Given your request for this, I take it you're trying to ignore AIX MTU
probes, which use large pings of 00's.

Your other option, a little better, is to have a pass rule which passes
ICMP echo's with the don't fragment bit set and contents of a whole pile of
zero's, then leave the original rule intact. This way you have a lesser
chance of passing things other than the AIX probes.