[Snort-users] Missing port number in alert file.

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Aug 15 08:57:02 EDT 2002

Teardrop attacks aren't port dependent. It's a pure IP layer attack
involving overlapping fragments. The spp_frag2 that detected the error
isn't even aware that tcp or udp exist, so the idea of port numbers don't
make sense to it. The message output layers identified it as a UDP packet,
but really, since it's a teardrop packet it doesn't matter what port it's
to, it's bad.

in this case one of a few things might cause this message:

1) 100.12.12.12 or one of the routers in the path to it has a *very* buggy
IP stack, i.e. it can't properly fragment packets.
2) you're running a very old, buggy version of snort (pre 1.8) which has
bugs in the frag preprocessor. (some very old versions of snort have buggy
stream/frag handling)
3) this packet is part of an attempt to evade IDS detection, via fragroute
or similar tools.
4) this is a lame attempt perform a denial of service attack on 192.168.1.2