[Snort-users] difference between the capability of snort and a dynamic firewall!??!?!!?

funky azimlinux at ...131...
Wed Aug 14 06:32:04 EDT 2002

Hi,

What's the fondamental difference between Intrusion
Detection Systems and a firewall!?!?!?

- I know that we can log the attempts that matches
with the rules with snort and later if you see an
attack in log , you can add some rules related to the
firewall
- we can look an the content (we can do that in
dynamic(proxy) firewalls also!!)
- We can make a dynamic rule match, what it is
for?!?!? There isn't any dynamic rules in standart
ruleset!?!??! Is it a difference from standart
firewall?!?! if, what!??!

thanx

funky
Istanbul